Sunday, February 21, 2010

"There's your home."

On the plane to Boston from London, I sat next to a nice gentleman from the UK. We chatted a bit and then I fell asleep. A few mintues after I awoke, he pointed out the window and said, "There's your home." The lights from the east coast were just winking into view.

I have to admit, I got a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes. I never expected to be affected like that after returning from a vacation. Sure, there's always the relief of a safe return to familar surroundings, but this time, coming from India, and realizing all I have that I take for granted...well, my reaction was more emotional.

Suddenly my aversion to the winter snow and cold seemed minor. And little things like being able to drink water right from the tap seemed huge. As we drove from Boston back to our beautiful home in New Hampshire, my husband I took stock of many other things that made our lives better than we realized.

Little things like, knowing how much things cost and being charged the same amount as everyone else; a quiet ride driving within lanes--not relying on the constant honking of horns to avoid hitting someone in overcrowded conditions; food that doesn't make you think twice about its effects; flush toilets and toilet paper...and big things like peace within our borders; knowing that most people don't go hungry day after day; lack of preventable diseases... I could go on. But I guess all I want to say is that we really are a whole lot luckier than we realize.

And I'm glad to be home in the USA.

Ash

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Ash, Thanks for reminding me of all that I have to be thankful for.. Sometimes just sitting in the United States we get used to being spoiled. I love being able to think about things you wrote about.. Thank you for sharing your experience with your talent with words wherever it comes from..

Welcome home..