Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Day two in Bangelore

2/9 here /2/8 there.

Today my husband’s company sent a cab over to take me shopping. The driver was very helpful. He took me to the nicer shops and waited for me each time. We were gone from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. His English is a little broken, but I’d be no better trying to converse in French—and forget Hindi. It’s a beautiful language, both spoken and written, but sooo many syllables.

I spent way more than I expected to. And I absolutely suck at bargaining. What’s weird is that things I thought would be outrageously expensive weren’t nearly as bad as I would have thought. For instance, a bangle bracelet made of rubies…don’t know how many, it’s covered with them, only cost me 675 rupees. That’s about $14.00. I got two. And a few things cost more than I thought they should have. But did I try to get the price down? No.
Like I said, I suck at this. It probably all came out in the wash.

And speaking of clothes, have you ever felt way underdressed for the party? Well, that’s how I’ve been feeling wearing my jeans and t-shirts when all these women are wearing beautiful saris. I managed to get a few to pose for me. However, today I got some gorgeous silk clothing for myself! I got 2 beautiful churidars. They’re like silk pajama bottoms and a long tunic-often worn with a scarf. I'm trying to iron them, but silk is so hard to iron, I had to take a break! So, I probably spent too much and still haven’t found the massively big chandelier earrings I thought India was famous for. Maybe next week in Chennai.

Got some photos but will need my hubby to help me upload them, so check back later!
Back to the ironing board.

Ash

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Thanks so much for letting us know what you are doing and how you are doing it.. I love hearing about all the wonderful things you are experiencing. Really a ruby bracelet for $14.00. Man, that is awesome.. You are still the queen of bargain hunting.. Think about it.. none of us can find a bargain like that so.. you are still the queen.. :)

Hot Ash Romance Novels said...

I'm glad to see you're follwing my adventures in India, Sherry!

I picked up a little something for you and Dalton yesterday.

No hints!