Sunday, December 7, 2008

My Christmas card letter...open to all.

Our first snow is descending gently as I write this. Season’s Greetings and peace to all. I usually send this annual letter with my Christmas cards, but this year, I thought I’d post it on-line and share my personal stories with my readers too.

First of all, my husband and daughter are doing well. They’re still employed in the same jobs. My daughter was even promoted to Art Director. My husband’s just grateful that he didn’t have to go to India this year. Whew!

I’ve had a banner year. Our annual winter vacation last January took us to the Bahamas. I fell in love with the laid-back island life. It seems SO long ago--more than just a year. This year, we’re headed to Fort Lauderdale, FL and we’re planning to meet one of my best Aussie friends--for the first time!

My first paperback came out in print last January too. February and March were pretty much the months I shivered through, dying for spring to arrive. At the end of March I attended the annual New England Chapter conference in Natick, MA. I also presented a workshop on e-publishing. People told me it was informative and helpful, and that I didn’t sound as nervous as I felt.

In May I was elected chapter president. It’s already proving to be an interesting job, offering me plenty of valuable experience. This means that I’ll be “the host” of our chapter conference next March. I hope I don’t sound nervous or get the hiccups. I’ll be standing in front of a couple hundred people, trying not to trip over my words.

In July my wonderful hubby and I went to the Romance Writers of America convention in San Francisco. Can you imagine being one of the few guys in a crowd of two thousand? He didn’t attend the conference, though. Just kept me company at breakfast and dinners and attended one party with me. He kept himself occupied by sightseeing while I went to workshops. We spent a week there, which meant I had 3 days free to explore. It was a fantastic area! I saw Chinatown, Fisherman’s Warf, the Golden Gate bridge and beyond.

I absolutely loved Muir Woods. Gazing up, up, up at the Redwood trees and taking loads of pictures. We even found one with a hole in the middle and had our pictures taken inside it. (It’s on my blog somewhere.) I also really enjoyed Sausalito, Monterey with their seals, driving up the coast, Napa Valley, and our tour of the Korbel Champagne winery. Yes, they gave us free samples!

This year I saw 4 new books of mine released! A short story about Rapunzel in an anthology of fractured fairy tales will be released Dec. 22nd. I think I’ve finally faced the fact that I’m a writer. It’s not just something I like to do. It’s who I am. If I got paid nothing for it, I’d probably still write. Don’t get me wrong, I want my royalties! If my publishers are reading this, please know that I will still look for my statements and cash my checks when you send them to me. (chuckles)

It’s been a busy year and I may have some very good news in the near future. I’m doing a light urban fantasy romantic comedy…part of a series if all goes well. I can’t give out details until a contract has been signed, but there’s been interest from a mass market publisher and I have a good feeling about it. Oh, and my books have been nominated for some awards! Stay tuned since I'm still in the running.

So, I wish you and yours much happiness and a safe, wonderful, serendipitous new year!

Warm Holiday Hugs,

Ash

2 comments:

Mona Risk said...

Ash, if you are coming to Fort Lauderdale, I hope you will give me a buzz. I live there, right on the beach, and would love to meet you. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Hot Ash Romance Novels said...

Oh my goodness! I didn't see this until I got back!

I definitely would have looked you up, Mona. Isn't the Internet fabulous? We have friends all over the world and I just love meeting them. (grin)

Ash