Sunday, July 3, 2011

RWA National Convention (my experience)

I just returned from the RWA national convention in NYC. It was awesome in many ways. I drank too much champagne, received overloads of adulation and inspiration, and felt like a rock star.

Strange Neighbors was up for a National Readers Choice Award, and even though I didn't win, I received plenty of positive attention by getting a ribbon and 3 certificates. One for me, one for my editor and one for my agent. My editor and publisher were there to see it, which was a nice surprise.

They took us (all the Sourcebooks Authors) out in limos to a Vietnamese restaurant down on 2nd Ave. We were on 45th, so it was a nice long limo ride. I finally learned how to use chopsticks! It was either that or starve. There were about 10 courses, and when the final one came out, there were metal spoons to serve it with. I almost yelled, "Come on, you had silverware all this time? And you didn't tell us?" Sheesh. Oh well, I'd only have eaten more if I'd had it at the beginning.

I saw lots of my Ellora's Cave buds and the bosses as well. They gave us these pretty umnbrellas that said Thank You in several languages. I love mine!

Because it was in New York, I was able to take the train, which is a beautiful ride along the coast. Guess who walked by me in my car on the way home? Elijah Wood! Traveling coach. Alone. His stock just went way up in my eyes. I like celebs who aren't full of themselves.

Well, that's about it for now. I need to go back and revise my proposal and finish up a story that Ellora's Cave just contracted. Well, I best be getting back to work!

Oh! And my agent and I came up with the funniest idea for a scene by scene freebie right here on my blog! Stay tuned for Karma Cleaners!

4 comments:

Maggie Nash said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time Ash. And why wouldn't you get loads of adulation??? Really, can you ever have too much of it? All well deserved!

Elijah Wood? Isn't he a kid? Oh crap, he grew up..and that means I must be old!

Happy writing! Get those books written girl!

Hot Ash Romance Novels said...

Thanks, Mags! I guess I'm old too. He's taller than I thought he was.
Must be the Hobbit role that made me think he was short.

Christine said...

Hey Ash, Glad you had so much fun and got all that wonderful adulation from people in your industry. I'm glad it felt good, you deserve it all.

The Limo ride sounds fantastic through New York. I'd love to go there someday.

I've heard the name Elijah Wood a few times I'm sure, but I cannot remmeber his face or what he's played in. I wouldn't have even known who he was. But you did, so you didn't try to say Hi or anything? lol

Hot Ash Romance Novels said...

Hi Christine,

Elijah Wood has been in a lot of movies from the time he was young. My favoritte was his role in Impact. He was in the Hobbit and all the Lord of the Rings movies, playing Frodo Baggins. Right now he's starring in a TV show called Wilfred on FX. It's pretty weird, but funny!

I didn't try to say hello. I figure celebs want their privacy whenever they can get it. If I found myself sitting next to him, I would have said something like, "I think you're a wonderful actor and I really loved your role in Impact," or something of that nature. Maybe it's the New England reserve, but I don't think many of us would accost him for an autograph or anything.